Prof. Ramachandran teaches management, leadership, entrepreneurship and emerging technologies. His current research interest includes government policies on education, impact of EdTech in educational pedagogy, and transformative nature of AI and FinTech across industries.
Ram is an accomplished hands-on senior executive with over thirty-five year’s track record of building and leading global information management practices, high-growth businesses, and high-performing teams across financial services and retail industries. He has helped several Fortune 100 financial services firms with their enterprise transformation programs. Post the 2008 economic downturn, he led programs to implement robust credit risk and liquidity risk solutions in support of Dodd-Frank, CCAR, and BCBS regulations. He has also led strategy and implementation of solutions in the areas of financial planning, budgeting, and profitability.
Most recently, he was the Managing Director at Ernst & Young, New York responsible for driving Data & Analytics, Robotics Process Automation, and Telematics solutions for his clients. Ram has worked with several blue chip companies including PwC, BearingPoint, Prudential Insurance, and Merrill Lynch in the US. He has led global consulting practice across US, Europe, Asia, and India, managing over 150 professionals and an annual portfolio of $8 million. He has worked outside India for the past thirty years in New York, London, Kingston, and Muscat.
Ram is passionate about education and helping develop young minds. He has strong mentorship and training skills. He has conducted several courses on technology, management, and leadership for young professionals’ as well senior executives. Ram runs his own consulting firm advising startup companies on product and IT strategy, market assessment, and execution approaches.
Ram is currently pursuing his Ph.D. His research focuses on intersection of technology, entrepreneurship, and education. He is particularly interested in emerging areas like Blockchain, Artificial Intelligence, Cognitive Process Automation, and IoT. He has published several articles on these subjects in leading industry magazines.
Ram holds an MBA from Leonard N. Stern School of Business, New York University, Bachelor of Engineering from University of Madras, and certificate in FinTech from MIT
Conference paper presentations.
- International Conference on e-Learning in the workplace, Columbia University, NYC, 2019: Presentation on “Emerging Technologies: Transforming India’s Education Sector”
- EdTech Review 2020 Conference – Panel Discussion on Industry Readiness for Youth – Role of tech to support learners’ needs
- Global Finance Conclave 2019 – Panel Discussion on ‘Overcoming financial downturns to reaching a frictionless economy: challenges and opportunities’
- MAT Journal Editorial Board ‘Journal of Internet Banking and Risk Management;
- MAT Journal Editorial Board ‘Journal of Business Analytics & Data Visualization’
- MAT Journal Editorial Board ‘Journal of Micro and Small Business Management
Description of courses taught
- Emerging Technology: Impact on Future of Business: In this course we will explore the key emerging trends in the technology and its impact on organizations and their operations. In this course, the students will understand the meaning of technological innovation, the different types, and its relationship across other types of innovation. Students will also explore how these key principles of technological innovation are actualized by examining various business cases. The course will address three key emerging technology areas that can have a broad impact in our personal life as well as that of an organization. These include FinTech/Blockchain, Artificial Intelligence, and Internet of things.
- Artificial Intelligence in Business: This course has been developed to provide students of Management an understanding of Artificial Intelligence, its uses in a wide spectrum of industries, its impact on the future of work, and the directions for managing technological change in an organization.
- Entrepreneurs’ Toolkit: Building Startups and Growing Family Business: This course has been developed to provide students of Management, Commerce, or any related social sciences field an understanding of the art and science of entrepreneurship. The Objective is to lead students through all steps necessary in starting or growing a business: analyzing personal and business goals, researching the market, developing a marketing plan, determining land, building, equipment, supplies, inventory, people needed, determining cash flow and pro forma financial statements, and money needed. The output of all this will be a professional business plan and financial package ready to submit to prospective investors. Each of these steps will involve use of templates and methods that can be reused.
- Effective Business Communication: This course aims at helping student understand the meaning, importance and application of effective communication. With communication modes evolving from in-person meetings to skype meetings to WhatsApp business conversations, the basics of writing and listening in communication remain the same but the style and length of discussion changes. As students of banking and finance, a business-oriented course, students should be able to communicate through variety of modes clear and compelling messages. The ability to communicate is the chief skill that employers look for when hiring and promoting. Interesting statistics – 93% communication is non-verbal and ineffective communication is one of the key barriers of productivity – force us to think how we can go back to basics and ensure that we are effectively communicating with all our key stakeholders using empathetic and active listening.
- Project Management and Planning:Every action of our daily life depends on our ability to plan, organize, execute, and manage the activities. Project management provides a structured framework to help create a desired outcome – be it at a personal or professional level. Every professional, at every level of the organization applies some techniques of project management and planning albeit subconsciously. Raising the awareness and approaching our daily activities in a disciplined will result in not only a more efficient process, but a better outcome in terms of cost, quality, and satisfaction. This course provides a systematic and thorough introduction to all aspects of project management and planning. This course underlines the importance of understanding the relation between projects and the strategic goals of the organization. The course also discusses the technical, cultural, and interpersonal skills necessary to successfully plan, execute, and manage projects from start to finish. It emphasizes that project management is a professional discipline with its own tools, body of knowledge, and skills. Concepts are reinforced by case studies covering a wide variety of project types and industries.